What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

VMware Database fills with login / logoff events

Votes:

After monitoring VMware with PRTG, the database of vmware vcenter is crashing because of login / logoff events written by PRTG.

The database crashes because of the 10g limit in the express version.

Every login is been protocolled. In 15 Days we had 30000000 login / logoff events.

Is this an issue?

database monitoring vmware

Created on Sep 22, 2014 9:42:12 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Update to this issue:

Update 15.3.19 (September 2015) did implement the new VMware (SOAP) sensor:

"The VMware Datastore (SOAP) sensor monitors the disk usage of a VMware data store. This sensor type supersedes the outdated SSH VMWare ESX(i) Disk sensor. The VMware (SOAP) sensors now also support session pooling. You can define session pooling in the device settings."

- see PRTG History.

Created on Mar 7, 2016 7:40:56 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

8 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

We are working on it, but unfortunately we can not yet tell when this will be available in the stable release.

Created on Sep 23, 2014 12:22:36 PM by  [email protected]

Votes:

Same problem for several customers. Is there a solution?

Created on Nov 27, 2014 1:18:11 PM

Votes:

I'm sorry but there is still work in progress. I think as a modest estimate I can give you Q2/2015. Please bear with us.

Kind regards

Created on Nov 27, 2014 4:37:49 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 19, 2015 12:43:37 PM by  Severin Glaeser [Paessler Support] (0) 1

Votes:

I have two questions concerning this topic:
Is there a workaround how to handle this?
Which sensors are affected by this?

Kind regards
Birk Guttmann

Created on Apr 7, 2015 12:36:50 PM

Votes:

We do have VMware Sensors currently in beta phase, which use session pooling to write significantly less log entries. If you'd like to participate in this beta test, please get in touch with us with an email to [email protected]

Created on Apr 7, 2015 1:19:03 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any update on this? Monitors for 3 hosts and 25 VMs are growing the VCDB by 4MB an hour! I already had the vCenter server crash because the DB hit the max size in SQL Express.

Created on Jun 26, 2015 5:03:15 PM

Votes:

Hi, I will contact you via email soon wrx7m.

Best regards

Created on Jun 29, 2015 5:35:57 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Update to this issue:

Update 15.3.19 (September 2015) did implement the new VMware (SOAP) sensor:

"The VMware Datastore (SOAP) sensor monitors the disk usage of a VMware data store. This sensor type supersedes the outdated SSH VMWare ESX(i) Disk sensor. The VMware (SOAP) sensors now also support session pooling. You can define session pooling in the device settings."

- see PRTG History.

Created on Mar 7, 2016 7:40:56 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.