What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

how to plan the prtg plan

Votes:

i have one new server (high performance), one old server, two plan as below - 1. new server as core +local probe, old server as remote probe. 2. new server and old server setup to cluster.

which is better ? or any other plan better ? thanks .

cluster core-server local-probe

Created on Oct 12, 2014 1:22:57 PM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Bon,

This depends on your needs. With the first option you'll split the load between the Remote Probe and the Core Server, but you won't have a Failover Node in case your Core Server fails.

The second option will result in a higher load, because each device under the Cluster Probe will be monitored by the Local Probe and the Failover Node. If the Master fails, the Failover will takeover the notification delivery. We recommend to use similar hardware for the Master and the Failover Server, so I'd recommend to go for scenario 1 in your particular case.

Best regards

Created on Oct 14, 2014 11:02:24 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

thanks you for your kindly reply, now i borrow one server from other department, set it as probe, and the new server as core, will migrate the old server to them, after that, the old server will upgrade the OS and set it as second remote probe.

Created on Oct 15, 2014 1:23:20 PM

Votes:

Sounds great! Just contact us via email ([email protected]) if we can be of further assistance.

Created on Oct 15, 2014 2:26:26 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.