What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Nexus 3172 health monitoring support

Votes:

hey

we just got one of the new cisco nexus switche 3172. but i have some issue with prtg snmp threshold monitoring of the switch tempture and system health packages, it wrong threshold if any and its just noise if we enable it and the name of the sensor it has found is just numbers, so i have i try to import http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseMIB.do?local=en&step=2&mibName=CISCO-ENTITY-VENDORTYPE-OID-MIB with the paessler mib import tool, but it dint find any oid in the mib, atm we are running on 14.3.10.2422 version of prtg, but there is nothing about the nexus series in the change log, so i can't see why opdating should solve the problem, prtg i working fine on all the other probe/device (monitoring of interface is working fine on the device).

so please advise what i can duo to get the health monitoring of the nexus3172 to work in prtg :)

nexus-3172 snmp temperature threshold

Created on Oct 16, 2014 8:10:37 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Please try and import the CISCO-ENTITY-FRU-CONTROL-MIB that can be downloaded from here. With this MIB you can monitor the FRU power supply status.

Created on Oct 22, 2014 10:32:16 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

8 Replies

Votes:

If the issue that you are having is with the thresholds for the values returned, you can change this by editing the lookup files that are being used. If you look at the channel settings for the channels that you are having issues with, you will see which lookup files are being used to define the different conditions.

Once you know which lookup files to edit, you can go to the lookups folder in PRTG installationpath\PRTG Network Monitor\lookups and edit the lookup file you are having issues with. The format for the lookups is relatively simple and self explanatory but we also have an article describing how to edit these files.

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/define_lookups.htm

Created on Oct 17, 2014 7:55:13 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

hey

thx for the replay now got the sensor to work with out giving me false alarm. but when i did go in depth of what monitoring we like on the switch i was not able to add power supplie under the cisco health snmp. can it be because prtg dont know this switch as a cisco units?

in or netowrk node manager program i could just add a new version of cisco-entity-vendortype.mib and then it could monitor the power supply of the switch. how can i archive the same result in prtg?

Created on Oct 20, 2014 7:38:08 AM

Votes:

If you want to use that MIB to monitor the switch, you can import that new MIB into PRTG and use the SNMP Library sensor with the imported MIB to monitor the power supply. This is a link to the MIB Importer and here is a link explaining the SNMP Library sensor.

Created on Oct 20, 2014 9:08:38 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

hey i have just try the mib importer on the CISCO-ENTITY-VENDORTYPE-OID-MIB-V1SMI.my open Paessler MIB Importer V3, file-> import mib file select my CISCO-ENTITY-VENDORTYPE-OID-MIB-V1SMI.my where there also is CISCO-SMI.my in the same folder (because CISCO-ENTITY-VENDORTYPE-OID-MIB-V1SMI.my require that file) then i get the following output

Import successful!

Report for C:\mib\CISCO-ENTITY-VENDORTYPE-OID-MIB-V1SMI.my: Sucessfully included files: 2 of 2 Sucessfully imported OIDs: 0 of 0 OIDs that were useful for PRTG: 0

well there is no error in the 6400 rows tekst document but it dont find any oid ind the mib either so it dont relly import any thing to the mib importer. so atm i can't generate the need file to prtg to the nexus 3172 :( i dont know how this mib/my file should look like and where the issue might be

Created on Oct 20, 2014 10:40:09 AM

Votes:

If you aren't able to import the OID's then it's likely that the OIDs contained in the MIB aren't compatible with PRTG in that they are trap OIDs, the OIDs return strings or some reason like that.

What specifically are you trying to monitor on the switch?

Created on Oct 20, 2014 3:50:38 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

i will like to monitor its power supplies so i can get alarm when one of them fail :)

i dont get the option to add power supplies monitoring under cisco system health

Created on Oct 21, 2014 6:54:29 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Please try and import the CISCO-ENTITY-FRU-CONTROL-MIB that can be downloaded from here. With this MIB you can monitor the FRU power supply status.

Created on Oct 22, 2014 10:32:16 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

thx for all the help on how to monitor or nexus 3172 switche in prtg i am glad i dont need to do this on all the new device we get :)

Created on Oct 23, 2014 8:45:11 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.