What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Execute HTTP stopped working

Votes:

Hi,

I have PRTG set up to send REST API calls to an external messaging system via the Execute HTTP action notification.

This all worked well for weeks, until last week it stopped and the problem appears to be in PRTG, possibly around SSL. If I hit the same URL in Chrome on the server the message is delivered, but in PRTG it is not. Is there debugging/logs or a cache or anything I can use to try and fix this? The server does send a text response for each hit.

Thanks

api http notification

Created on Oct 20, 2014 10:56:27 PM

10 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
you might enable the Notification Delivery Debugging in order to get detailed information on whats going wrong with your notifications.
Best regards

Created on Oct 23, 2014 7:36:13 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you. This has helped, I can now see the debug log which contains:

- Stat Disconnected.

- Error connecting with SSL.

- Error connecting with SSL.

- error:14094410:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert handshake failure

- Stat Disconnected.

This is a valid SSL certificate being presented - the target is api.hipchat.com.

Created on Oct 23, 2014 11:12:01 PM

Votes:

Thanks for the log. We tried to recreate the issue but were not able to, so far. What PRTG version are you using currently?

Created on Oct 28, 2014 12:31:22 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Konstantin - we are a few versions behind on 14.1.8.1371.

I had a further look at that error and it matches those thrown by curl, so I assume that is the underlying lib PRTG uses. I was able to replicate the error from curl 7.33 and TLS was modified in 7.34.

I have planned to upgrade to the latest PRTG hopefully later today.

Created on Oct 28, 2014 11:40:03 PM

Votes:

We are using OpenSSL as SSL library and by standard so does cURL. So, yes please try updating your installation. May you keep me posted if this is working?

Created on Oct 29, 2014 8:44:35 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Konstantin, the upgrade to 14.4.12.3510 did fix the issue.

Created on Nov 20, 2014 12:29:54 AM

Votes:

HI

I'm using PRTG Network Monitor 14.1.8.1371 x64.

I configured my PRTG to send sensor alarms to Telegram by https://api.telegram.org/bot<your-api-key>/sendMessage command. But i have alarm like this:

error connecting with ssl. error connecting with ssl. error:14094410:ssl routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert handshake failure

How can i fix it?

Thank your supporting.

Created on Aug 11, 2017 6:44:27 AM

Votes:

Dear ddhung,

Thank you for the KB-Post. This is most likely a SSL/TLS conflict. PRTG version 14 is over 3 years old, which means it doesn't support TLS 1.x, which likely is a requirement by Telegram now for security reasons.
The best way forward will be updating PRTG.

best regards.

Created on Aug 11, 2017 10:06:11 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Permalink.

The best way forward will be updating PRTG.

What is the version PRTG that support Telegram?

Thanks.

Created on Aug 24, 2017 7:29:56 AM

Votes:

You should at least update to version 14.4.12 as this worked for another user. However to be honest, I highly recommend to update to the latest version 17.3.33. That will ensure your PRTG installation supports the latest TLS 1.x connection types.
Version 14.1.8 doesn't have this support. It only supported SSLv3 as highest encryption.

Created on Aug 24, 2017 7:37:20 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.