What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Unencrypted FTP not longer possible

Votes:

After upgrading to the latest version i'm not longer able to use unencrypted FTP. When i try to add a new FTP-Sensor there is no point "Don't use SSL (Basic FTP, recommended) : In most cases, you will use basic FTP without encryption.... " and the FTP-Server i'm monitoring is not offering encryption so i can't monitor it any longer.

ftp missing unencrypted

Created on Oct 22, 2014 2:16:25 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience you're having with the reworked FTP sensor. When using "explicit Transport-Level-Security" with this sensor type, PRTG first tries to establish a secure connection to the FTP server. Only if the server rejects this connection, PRTG retries to reach the server via an insecure connection.

We've build this automatism to avoid unnecessary settings for the sensor.

To solve this issue, please reconfigure your FTP server to reject SSL connections altogether. It seems that your server currently only rejects the user after a secure connection has been established.

Created on Oct 24, 2014 10:19:14 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Please use the "explicit Transport-Level Security" in the FTP Sensor settings. We will release a new version of the sensor in the near future which will use this setting by default.

Best regards

Created on Oct 23, 2014 2:28:13 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

But this doesn't solve my problem as the destination is not supporting TLS, i need this to be done without encryption ! After switching to "explicit Transport-Level Security" in the FTP Sensor settings i got the message "User xxxx access denied. Use insecure access ".

Many thanks.

Created on Oct 23, 2014 2:38:57 PM

Votes:

I just forwarded this case to our development team for further investigation. Please bear with us.

Created on Oct 23, 2014 4:03:16 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience you're having with the reworked FTP sensor. When using "explicit Transport-Level-Security" with this sensor type, PRTG first tries to establish a secure connection to the FTP server. Only if the server rejects this connection, PRTG retries to reach the server via an insecure connection.

We've build this automatism to avoid unnecessary settings for the sensor.

To solve this issue, please reconfigure your FTP server to reject SSL connections altogether. It seems that your server currently only rejects the user after a secure connection has been established.

Created on Oct 24, 2014 10:19:14 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

As this FTP-Server is hosted by an external company and used also from other customers they are not able to configure it in this way. Would it be possible to build an own sensor which uses unencrypted connections or would it be possible to have a second FTP-sensor from Paessler ? Many thanks.

Created on Oct 24, 2014 10:42:38 AM

Votes:

Currently there are no plans to change the FTP sensor, I'm sorry. Of course you could write your own sensor which checks an FTP server and returns an OK or NOTOK. This could be done, for example, with a Windows command line script or an EXE file.

In PRTG you can use such an extension with the "EXE/Script Sensor" (see https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/exe_script_sensor.htm).

For detailed information please see the API documentation https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/application_programming_interface_api_definition

Created on Oct 24, 2014 1:13:59 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Jul 24, 2018 7:29:55 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.