What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Oracle v2 sensor Tablespace-Monitoring

Votes:

Hey there,

we tried your new SQL Oracle v2 sensor with a bit success. At the moment we're using the key-value-method to test our tablespaces, but with this method you're forced to set the key for every existing tablespace. Is there any way, that the sensor is looking for the key/value pair automatically to create the channels himself? If not we're needed to recreate the sensor every-time we create a new tablespace.

Best regards,

Sebastian

database monitoring-database oracle oracle-sql-sensor

Created on Oct 22, 2014 2:54:56 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

That would require dynamic sensor channels which are not possible with the built-in sensors I'm afraid. Sorry! What you could do is to use a factory sensor and centralize the values there, but then you'll need to create a sensor for every table space(s) you have at the time and modify the factory sensor to include the new sql sensor. Would that be an option?

Created on Oct 24, 2014 6:41:33 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 24, 2014 6:41:59 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Stephan,

we're evaluating prtg at this moment and we're looking for a monitoring-solution with better test-methods then our current product. And one of our problems is, that we need a dynamic sensor/test which is able to monitor all tablespaces on a database, without the need to create a test/sensor for every new tablespace. We have databases with tons of tablespaces created and deleted by developers. In this situation it is needed, that the monitoring-system is able to check these tablespaces themself. We have a bit of a solution with creating a sensor with sql-query returning the tablespace with the most usage or an usage over x percent. But this is only a workaround at this moment. It would be better if the sensor were able to dynamically create and delete channels for every result in the dataset.

Best regards,

Sebastian

Created on Oct 24, 2014 7:23:25 AM

Votes:

As of right now, the method I mentioned above is the only way to achieve what you want. I'll talk to the developer of the sensor if anything in this direction is planned, but I doubt it (at least in the near future). I'll let you know what he said.

Created on Oct 24, 2014 8:26:36 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.