What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Multi-site monitoring

Votes:

I want to monitor several independent networks by running PRTG core server on a Windows machine at my main location and then install a Raspberry Pi mini-probe at each remote location. Please answer the following questions:

1.) Will a Raspberry Pi mini-probe be able to effectively monitor the remote LAN and send network performance results back to the PRTG core server?

2.) Would I be able to monitor a point-to-point VPN connection between two of the remotes and report back QoS results to the PRTG core server?

3.) Can I setup a dedicated network dashboard view for each remote network being monitored and allow authorized users to only view their own dashboard?

4.) Can I send a daily network performance report to one or more key contacts at each remote location?

5.) Can I easily upgrade from the freeware to enterprise version of PRTG without reinstallation of the PRTG server application?

Thanks in advance for answering all of my questions !!!

mini-probe prtg qos-roundtrip

Created on Oct 22, 2014 4:40:54 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post.

1. A Raspberry Pi will work as a PRTG Mini Probe, but will have a very reduced set of sensors. For a full LAN a normal Remote Probe would be recommended.
  2. This depends whether the physical device supports monitoring protocols that PRTG uses. It's probably going to be SNMP to monitor the VPN here. Possibly you can install a Remote Probe at the other location and use PRTG'S own QoS-Sensors.
  3. Yes, with Maps.
  4. Yes, with Reports.
  5. Yes, you can keep all configured sensors, notifications, dependencies and everything else. If you want to upgrade from the Freeware or Trial Edition to the Commercial Edition after a purchase, simply download the commercial installer from the Paessler Website and install it on top of your existing installation. If you are not asked for your license key during the setup, please use the "PRTG Server Administrator" afterwards, to enter your registered Name and License key in the tab "License".

best regards.

Created on Oct 27, 2014 8:32:03 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.