What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Does PRTG impair my Citrix environment?

Votes:

Since I have been monitoring my Citrix XenApp servers with PRTG, the connection between the XenApp Delivery Controller and the terminal servers always drops as soon as monitoring is active.

Is this an issue of PRTG? How can I monitor Citrix XenApp servers with PRTG without any impairments?

citrix disconnect error impairment prtg rdp rdp-sensor xenapp

Created on Oct 24, 2014 12:35:45 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 10, 2019 6:53:51 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies as of PRTG 22

Monitoring Citrix XenApp servers without disconnects

PRTG does not directly cause problems in Citrix environments. The disconnects of XenApp terminal servers are the result of an error in the Citrix service that appears after the logoff of an RDP session.

In this case, the affected server changes to the status unregistered for a few seconds. If you monitor the server with the RDP (Remote Desktop) sensor, this status change happens with every sensor scan.

You can resolve this issue with the Citrix private hotfix LC0251 that is specific to these RDP session disconnects. Apply this fix to your Citrix XenApp servers and the problem will not appear anymore if you monitor the Citrix environment with the RDP (Remote Desktop) sensor.

Created on Oct 24, 2014 12:36:50 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 4, 2023 12:19:16 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.