What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Using the transaction sensor

Votes:

Hi Using a transaction sensor, i would like the sensor to fail if a certain sentence is in the source. So i write

• An error has happened*

in the "response must not include" field. However, when I have more tahn one word in this field, the sensor responds with OK. If I write

• happened* the sensor fails.

So how should I do this?

question response transaction

Created on Jul 1, 2010 12:08:59 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Lars,

please be aware that this check is case sensitive. So 'happened' and 'Happened' are not the same. Furthermore, * as wildcards might not work, please try it without them (or try ? as wildcard).

Best regards.

Created on Jul 1, 2010 3:34:34 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the response. I have tried every combination of case and with/without stars. Even in this simple setup I'm nott getting a "hit" String starting at byte 2344 in source code:"Der er desværre sket en fejl" Der = ok er = Error: String found [er] r = Error: String found [r] sket = ok

*sket* = ok
*ske* = ok

Seems like the strings found are from other parts of the source.

But when I'm checkin for strings earlier in the source (within the first 200 bytes) all my matches work as expected.

I have set a limit download of 0 (default value), and I assume that this is unlimited, but it seems that this could have an effect. Even when setting this to 5 (the source is 3 Kb) I'm not getting my match.

Are you able to elaborate on this?

Created on Jul 1, 2010 6:43:03 PM

Last change on Jul 2, 2010 2:47:06 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Lars,

we've just tried it with a few websites, there is no limitation which part of the HTML-source is checked (please be aware that only HTML is checked, Javascript is not parsed). '0' in the download limit means indeed unlimited download for the sensor. As already said, * do not work as wildcards. Please do not use them.

Best Regards.

Created on Jul 2, 2010 2:49:01 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.