What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

changing the default notifications settings

Votes:

I would like to be able to have a device hit a certain threshold of failed pings before sending an email how can i do this?

monitoring notifications ping prtg

Created on Nov 4, 2014 9:10:21 PM

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi James,

2 ways imo. first: Try the "Ping Method", wich you can find in the settings of your ping sensor. So you can send multiple pings before the sensor shows an error state. second: Notifications, send an email when the sensor is down for may be 5 minutes, so if its only a short offline state, no email is send to you.

h2h Martin

Created on Nov 5, 2014 12:07:00 PM

Votes:

Hi, I will have to work out how to set the ping 2-3 fails before sending a notification, is that possible?

Created on Nov 5, 2014 10:27:33 PM

Votes:

Hi James,

if you set the ping method to "multiple Pings" with 10 Pings and the "Ping Delay" to 100ms the sensor only goes down if all 10 Pings over 1 second (1000ms) fail. Is this what you want?

Excerpt from Ping Sensor:

Ping Method Define the kind of Ping check that will be performed. Choose between:

Send one single Ping : With each scanning interval, send a single Ping only. A sensor in this setting will show the Ping time only. This setting is good for simply availability monitoring. Send multiple Ping request : With each scanning interval, send multiple Pings in a row. A sensor in this setting will also show minimum and maximum Ping time as well as packet loss (in percent). This setting is good if you want to create reports about average Ping times out of a series of ping requests. This is the default setting. Note: When using multiple request, all of them have to get lost in order for the sensor to switch to a Down status. For example, if there is only one Ping request answered in a series of five, the sensor will still show a green Up status.

Created on Nov 6, 2014 8:26:09 AM

Votes:

Hi Martin, no this is not what I am after.

What I would like to happen.

is to have a device with a ping sensor which gets pinged every 5 minutes, if the first ping fails. try again in 5 minutes. then if the second ping fails THEN send a notification email and show the sensor as down.

We have about 300 devices for a customer which are all over Australia and usually its the ISP being flaky for 5 minutes which then auto sends an email which we don't want.

Created on Nov 6, 2014 9:51:18 PM

Votes:

Hi James,

sorry for the late answer. Set your notification email time to 10 min (600 seconds) so only if 2 times the sensor fails (2x 5 minutes) you get an email. if the seconds check is ok no emails were sent to you.

There is also a new? Option in the (i dont know the english name) Check Intervall Option namely "When a sensor reports an error" wich can be set to only go down if 2 times the sensor check goes fail.

hth Martin

Created on Nov 21, 2014 10:57:32 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.