What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

APC MIBs/OIDs question

Votes:

Hey guys. I grabbed the APC MIB file from their website, used your PRTG Import app, imported the file, copied it to the SNMP library directory as directed.

I then add a new device, choose SNMP library, point it to the APC file i created, and hit next. The 1st time around it created 7,000 sensors, the 2nd time around i tested it, it created 3500 sensors. A large majority of those sensors went unanswered....

I love a good amount of monitoring, but this is a bit much. Is there a way i can JUST add the OIDs that get answered instead of each and every one of them?

apc-hardware mib mib-importer oid snmp

Created on Nov 10, 2014 8:15:14 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you very much for using PRTG. If you do know the OIDs to monitor, you can use the SNMP Custom Sensor to use one per OID (and enter them directly).
Otherwise, reduce the OIDLib inside the MIB-Importer with "File"->"Enable Partial Selection", and select only the most important counters for a new smaller reduced OIDLib.

best regards.

Created on Nov 13, 2014 10:39:43 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm rather sure that adding a SNMP Library Sensor lets you pick the items you want to monitor by using the checkboxes in front of every row.

Created on Nov 13, 2014 10:59:48 AM

Votes:

Im not really sure which ones I want monitored. Is there a way to just auto-choose the ones that actually answer?

Created on Nov 13, 2014 4:30:34 PM

Votes:

Torsten: The problem is, I have no idea which OIDs to monitor. In reality, I just want the ones that answer correctly (about 350 of them from when 7000 got added) and then Ill choose from there. Is there a way to test which one answers instead of getting 7000 added and then removing the ones that dont work by hand? How about this. I add the 7000, see only 350 work, how do i delete the ones that dont work and leave the 350? I hope i dont have to do that by hand....

PRTGToolsFamily: Yes, i saw a huge list with those checkboxes. Problem is, its such a complex APC (100kva) that i have no idea which ones to pick.

Created on Nov 13, 2014 10:20:08 PM

Votes:

Technically, all of them should work, you probably are overloading the SNMP Interface on the target with adding the 7000 at once. So with waiting (and a long scanning interval) probably all of them start to work.
I would check with the vendor for a recommendation about the most important counters.

Created on Nov 14, 2014 8:02:02 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Even with the 350 working sensors, you are at the risk of adding sensors just for the sake of adding sensors.

In cases like this, I usually start with the APC web interface. Look at what is presented there, pick the ones that are interesting to me and try to find them in the SNMP Library Sensor list.

When I'm not sure which is which, I select the 3 ore 4 most likely ones and look at the values they produce. the one producing the same value as in the web interface wins!

Created on Nov 14, 2014 8:21:11 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.