What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

XML Advance Sensor bandwidth/s settings

Votes:

Hello

I am trying to create PowerShell XML sensor for bandwidth I/O. Currently , I can see my value as Mbyte in prtg , I would like to see it as Mbyte/s ,Similar to In-built SNMP traffic sensor. Could you teach me settings I should use for the following things in my script - <Unit> <SpeedSize> <VolumeSize> <Mode>

Note - I have my channel settings set to Mbyte and Mbyte / Second

Thanks a lot, Amar

advance-xml-sensor bandwidth-sensor snmp-custom-sensor

Created on Nov 11, 2014 5:40:03 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You would use the 'difference' mode when the target device returns data that keeps adding up and you want the sensor to show the data used per scan interval.

Absolute modeDifference mode
Scan intervalDevice returnsSensor reportsSensor reports

Created on Nov 20, 2014 1:39:16 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Dear amarc

The available units are:

BytesBandwidth BytesMemory BytesDisk Temperature Percent TimeResponse TimeSeconds Custom Count CPU BytesFile SpeedDisk SpeedNet TimeHours ("CPU" actually is "Percent")

Depending on what the sensor is measuring (increasing traffic volume or actual bandwidth) you either need to use the <Mode> Difference, or Absolute.

As you want to get Mbyte/s, please use the according <SpeedSize> of MegaByte.

Created on Nov 11, 2014 5:33:51 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Arne,

Thank you for your reply.

I want to measure actual bandwidth IN/OUT per sec. I tried using speednet in Unit and I am getting MBit/s Can I use <SpeedSize> and convert it to MegaByte ?

Regards

Created on Nov 12, 2014 12:29:13 AM

Votes:

Using a Custom Unit will get you the result you're looking for:

<prtg>
  <result>
    <Channel>Download Speed</Channel>
    <Unit>Custom</Unit>
    <CustomUnit>Mb/s</CustomUnit>
    <Float>1</Float>
    <Value>122.06</Value>
  </result>
</prtg>

Created on Nov 12, 2014 10:49:35 AM

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you all for the reply. I could accomplish this using Unit - speednet and changing volume size to MegaBit. Also from the webui , If I change default channel unit to MegaByte , All the graphs are showing in MegaBytes/s.

I am now confused about what mode to use - Absolute / Difference. Could you please tell me when to use Aboslute OR Difference. I want to be able to see traffic going in and coming out of my device.

Thanks a lot !

Created on Nov 20, 2014 7:17:54 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You would use the 'difference' mode when the target device returns data that keeps adding up and you want the sensor to show the data used per scan interval.

Absolute modeDifference mode
Scan intervalDevice returnsSensor reportsSensor reports

Created on Nov 20, 2014 1:39:16 PM

Votes:

Hi,

Great , Thank you so much for the explanation. I realized big mistake in my script. Could you help me with the following , I don't want to see traffic_in (volume) , I haven't included any volume parameter in <result> and I cant figure out how to get rid of it also is it possible to get in traffic_total somehow ?

Screen shot - http://prntscr.com/58huwr

Regards

Created on Nov 21, 2014 2:53:12 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.