What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is PRTG the right product for me?

Votes:

Hello, I'm a novice in Log Management, so I'd like to explain you my needs to find out if PRTG is the product I'm looking for:

My network:

1x Cisco ASA5515X firewall (saving traffic logs via FTP)

1x Cisco WLC5508 wireless lan controller (saving auth logs via SNMP)

1x server 2012, 12 cores/12 Gb, (DC+DHCP+Radius)

From 50 to 200 wireless guests every day (personal credentials)

My work:

1 One of mine WiFi-guest is trying to realize a DoS attack on a website. (He thinks to be safe in the middle of other 100 WiFi guests), the boss calls me!

2 The attacked website give me the logs of the attack with timestamp.

3 I search in the firewall-logs which was the source IP (in LAN) of attacker with timestamp.

4 Then I search in the WLC-logs which user had that IP assigned at that time.

5 Then I verify in the WLC-logs past presences of the MAC address of the device of the attacker.

6 I try to verify in DHCP and radius logs that device and that user.

7 I print all these results for the boss: He kicks the attacker ass!

So I need to store logs from firewall and WLC, and manually search in the ASA+WLC logs for time, then for time+IP, then for MAC ….. Logs from server are interesting just for Radius and DHCP. No hardware or physical “sensors” are useful fof me.

Now the big question: Is PRTG the product I need to make this work more easily?

Thanx a lot, and sorry for my poor english!

cisco-wlc ciscoasa commercial logs prtg

Created on Nov 11, 2014 9:49:28 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

I think you rather need a log analyzing tool like GrayLog2, FluentD or Splunk. These guys are more specialized in the fields of log analyzing :)

Created on Nov 12, 2014 3:42:43 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.