What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I monitor the IP change for a DynDNS

Votes:

Ich have to monitor a change of the IP with DynDNS. Is there a sensor for this Problem? The Traceroute sensor is not practicable, because the hops are the same after a change.

dnsdynamic dyndns sensor

Created on Nov 14, 2014 9:22:47 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Lukas,

Ah, you confused me with the title of your question.

I'm sure however that the Traceroute sensor can help you out here, as in your example 'google.de' will be the last entry in the hop list.

So the route will change if the IP for 'google.de' changes!

Please make sure to select 'Set sensor to warning' or 'Set sensor to down' in the sensor settings page.

Also note that the sensor wil only stay in this state for one sensor run only, as with the next run the route will not have changed compared to the prevous run.

Created on Nov 14, 2014 2:12:28 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Lukas,

You might want to have alook at Custom Sensor DNSDynamic.

It monitors changes of your public IP and updates your DynDNS setting accordingly.

Created on Nov 14, 2014 12:46:25 PM

Votes:

Sorry, this doesn't work. I need a sensor wo monitorsthe IP to a DNS For example: Monitor google.de and give response when the IP ich change

Created on Nov 14, 2014 1:16:49 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Lukas,

Ah, you confused me with the title of your question.

I'm sure however that the Traceroute sensor can help you out here, as in your example 'google.de' will be the last entry in the hop list.

So the route will change if the IP for 'google.de' changes!

Please make sure to select 'Set sensor to warning' or 'Set sensor to down' in the sensor settings page.

Also note that the sensor wil only stay in this state for one sensor run only, as with the next run the route will not have changed compared to the prevous run.

Created on Nov 14, 2014 2:12:28 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.