What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Where are stored passwords saved?

Votes:

I am trying to determine where PRTG stores the saved credentials for the sensors. I have read the document on "How and where does PRTG store its data?", but was still unable to find this. I checked the configuration.dat file and it is not there. I am asking more for the purposes of security and for configuration backup.

backup configuration credentials

Created on Nov 14, 2014 3:20:07 PM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you very much for using PRTG. Monitoring Credentials are indeed saved in the configuration file of PRTG, although the passwords are encrypted.

best regards.

Created on Nov 17, 2014 9:17:02 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you.

Created on Nov 17, 2014 4:18:31 PM

Votes:

Can you please elaborate between the difference in monitoring account and encrypted credentials ?

I wish to know if the PSTG login credentials are encrypted and the username and password that we enter to monitor the server are also encrypted. Also pls let me know the type and key size being used and is there a way to change the keysize or encryption ?

Created on Jun 24, 2020 6:33:13 PM

Votes:

Hi,

PRTG stores internal passwords always encrypted and never into logfiles.
You should find all needed information about encryption and security features here

Created on Jun 25, 2020 7:18:34 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.