What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can i keep Windows management instrumentation as dependency for Event Log (Windows API) sensor?

Votes:

hello , i am new to PRTG and was working on configuring dependencies for existing PRTG sensors . we have this one "Event Log (Windows API) sensor" . Since it is a Windows based sensor, would it be apt if i keep it's dependency on Windows Management Instrumentation Sensor? or should i keep it just on "Parent" ??

api event-log--windows-api--sensor wmi

Created on Nov 17, 2014 10:13:44 AM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hey Shreyas Mohite,

it is possible to use every sensor in your PRTG as an dependency for this. Usually it is useful to use the ping sensor of an system as the dependency for every other sensor related to this system.

To change the dependency do the following:

1. go to sensor settings
  2. search "dependencies" and unmark the box
    1. change "type" to main object if you want the "main declared object" as dependency (the big size graphic on the overview tab)
    2. change "type" to "choose object" if you want to use an other object
  3. save and be happy ;)

I think this should help you. If you want to do it global, be sure its really global to PRTG, then text me again for the settings.

Sascha

Created on Nov 20, 2014 7:55:39 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.