What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Python Mini Probe

Votes:

I am experimenting with use of Python Mini Probe running on a Raspberry Pi computer on my local network. I was able to enable use of a remote probe and the mini-probe did connect to the PRTG server but it keeps disconnecting/reconnecting every 15 seconds or so. Also, the mini-probe didn't send back any network information using sensors. I tried to add sensors to the mini-probe but no sensor options were shown on the console screen for selection. Here are my questions:

1.) Does the mini-probe need to be on a completely different network sub-net from the PRTG server in order to properly work?

2.) How can I control the remote probe from the PRTG server console?

3.) Did the Python Mini Probe download from GitHub provide everything needed for the Raspberry Pi to function as a working remote probe?

4.) What sensors can I enable for use with the Raspberry Pi probe?

5.) Do you have any detailed documentation on various daemons that must be running on the Raspberry PI in order for it to function as a remote probe?

As always, thanks for your assistance as I learn how to use your PRTG monitoring software and remote probes.

linux python-mini-probe snmp-sensor

Created on Nov 17, 2014 4:48:51 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi,
please find my answers below:

1: No, this is not necessary, the MiniProbe can run on the same subnet as the PRTG core
2: The MiniProbe cannot be controlled from within the user interface, you would have to log in to the target therefore
3: Yes, no further modules are needed
4: There are some preconfigured sensors available like Ping, Http and SNMP sensors. If you need more sensors for now, you will have to program them by yourself.
5: No daemons are needed on the raspberry, the installer script will install the MiniProbe as daemon itself.

Best regards

Created on Nov 25, 2014 1:28:35 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.