What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I remove drives from the Free Space Sensor?

Votes:

I have been successfully monitoring the free disk space on a server using the WMI Free Disk Space (Multi Drive) Sensor. The server originally had 10 drives, but we have now removed 3 of them from the server.

The sensor is reporting the missing drives as having 0% free space.

I would like to remove the drives from the sensor so these drives are no longer reported.

I would prefer to keep the history of the other drives so deleting and recreating is undesirable.

Is this possible? Or must I delete and recreate?

Thanks, Matt.

edit-sensor prtg wmi-free-disk-sensor

Created on Nov 19, 2014 11:38:36 AM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hey mattseddon,

this function isn't included till now. One of my colleagues did a feature request and this could be integrated soon.

But for now, you can cut out the Drives from your view this way:

1. go to your sensor
  2. click the "gear" in the right side of the drives with "0%"
  3. look at the third and the fourth setting
    1. choose the don't show in diagram option
    2. choose the don't show in table option
  4. the values aren't shown anymore, only in channel overview
  5. there you can reactivate the channels, too

Hope this is fine to you.

Sascha

Created on Nov 20, 2014 8:40:22 AM

Votes:

How's this function coming along? Because I still don't see this function in version 16.1.21.1924

Also, I noticed I had to manually pause and resume the sensor in order to properly get new drive letters in. So it looks like the sensor isn't properly updating the information based on what it gets back from the server...

Created on Dec 21, 2016 12:57:58 PM

Votes:

+1 for feature request regarding to recognize a monitored disk has suddenly been removed We need an error condition then

Created on Dec 21, 2016 3:11:06 PM

Votes:

@ Corné van den Bosch:
Thank you for your response. I investigated your described behavior of the WMI Free Disk Space (Multi Disk) sensor.
Please verify that All Drives for the WMI DISK FREE CONFIGURATION has been selected. This can be checked in your sensor's "Settings"-tab and only be configured during the sensor creation.
Please note that new sensor channels will be automatically created after the scanning interval triggers a new monitoring request.

@ Rob:
Thank you as well for your contribution. This feature is already implemented, even though it is not configured by default. Please open your sensor's "Settings"-tab and set the radio button for Alarm on Missing/Removed Disk to Activate Alarm.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Dec 23, 2016 6:31:14 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I know this is an old topic, But I am currently facing the same concern @mattseddon posted here way back 2014. Isn't there any feature/option yet on this day for the sensor to detect if a specific drive no longer exist on server? (currently resolve by creating a new WMI disk sensor, but you will lose all history)

We have V21.4.73.1656.

Created on Jul 14, 2022 5:58:08 AM

Votes:

Hello Mark,

What setting did you configure for Alarm on Missing/Removed Disk within the sensor's "Settings" tab?

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 14, 2022 2:15:38 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Sebastian,

We currently had Alarm on Missing/Removed Disk set to deactivated because it triggers the alarm for drives included/captured on "WMI Free Disk Space (Multi Disk)" when it was setup years ago but no longer exist today. As much as I want to activate that to monitor drives that suddenly went missing (might be due to error/disconnect/etc.), I need to address first how I can remove those drives that doesn't exist without recreating the WMI disk sensor.

Thanks, Mark G.

Created on Jul 15, 2022 5:08:49 AM

Votes:

Hello Mark,

I understand your request but I have to say that it is not possible to delete channels of created sensors. You can hide them as described here, but an entire deletion of single channels is not possible.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 15, 2022 9:04:10 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.