What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Network Monitor States "Status sending Email: OK" But No Email Received

Votes:

Hi, I've set up PRTG Network Monitor once before a year ago and now I'm trying to set it up a second time and I'm a little rusty. So here's the problem, I tried to set up email notifications for two sensors that I set up. I set two triggers and simulated error status, and saw in the log, "Status sending Email: OK (Sensor/Source/ID: 2002/2002/1)", but never received an email. I then went to Setup > Account Setup > Notifications and clicked "Test" for "Email to Admin", and got a message in the log that simply said "Status sending Email: OK", but I never received an email either.

So, then I changed SMTP servers (I was using smtpout.secureserver.net), and put in smtp-mail.outlook.com for an outlook.com address I have. I got an "unusual sign-in activity" email from Microsoft stating that an unknown IP address was trying to use my account and "was this me?" which I confirmed, so I must've authenticated correctly. I had the FROM address my outlook.com address just in case it wouldn't send any emails from non-outlook.com email addresses and sent it to another email address, but never received any emails after repeating the two tests I listed above.

I also came across https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/953-why-don-t-i-get-notifications-from-prtg-what-are-the-top-5-reasons-for-notification-problems and made a note of the Security Software paragraph at the end as I'm running Symantec Endpoint Protection. So I created an exception for "PRTG Server.exe" as suggested on the page, but nothing changed. I even temporarily disabled it and sent another email via the Setup > Account Setup > Notifications and clicked "Test" for "Email to Admin" method, but again, nothing showed up.

The only indication that anything is wrong inside PRTG Network Monitor is the icon in the System Tray is blinking red and when I highlight the mouse over it it says, "Not connected (Error connecting with SSL, EOF was observed that violates the protocol). I'm running this on Windows 7 and the PRTG Network Monitor version is 13.1.2.1462. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

problem prtg smtp

Created on Nov 21, 2014 6:40:51 AM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hey sludwig,

what did you set up?

For email notification you have to set up the notification service itself and the notification for one or a bulk of users. Here we go:

Notification-System (System-settings -> Notification)

• If it is possible to you, set up also an fallback server, so choose "two smtp-relay server"
  • Email, Name, Servername, Port & Credentials are strictly needed
  • HELO-Ident is useful for identification
  • Please check the login in a browser if it is correctly
  • Please use one of the entire cryption for message transport. Your provider will get you one. Best way is TLS, because SSLv3 is kind of unsecure
  • Same way for the second one
  • Save

User-Notification ( Account-settings -> Notification)

• Create an Notification and get him a title
  • Mark the point of "email notification"
  • fill out the new boxes with the mail address of the recipient

Now recheck the mail transport. Maybe there is a Log where you can find the errors. You can look here for the right folder ( https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/463-how-and-where-does-prtg-store-its-data ).

Is there something you strip because there are a lot of possible errors ;).

Best

Sascha

Created on Nov 25, 2014 8:14:46 AM

Votes:

Please also update PRTG to a current version, to make sure the newest encryption is supported, in case your mail server enforces it.

Created on Nov 25, 2014 8:57:35 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.