What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI sensors gray

Votes:

Browsing through your KBs, I couldn't relate to my issue of the moment.

I have 10 devices working perfectly in my network. An 11th one however, will not display WMI sensors, but there is no error message. Ping, SMTP, whatever other sensors work just fine, and WMI sensors work fine on other devices, but on this one the WMI sensors remain gray and with the following message insite the portal:

Starting Sensor (results for this sensor type can be delayed for several minutes at system startup. Please wait)

WMI service is running, RPC too. I can hit WMI from another device in the network.

Any tips?

Cheers

gray prtg wmi

Created on Nov 26, 2014 1:13:00 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hey Carpet,

what is your configuration? How strong is your server and how much sensors did you have?

Sometimes it is possible to get a bit delay, but this you can control in your sensor-health check.

1. Sensor Dashboard
  2. Choose the "ProbeHealth" sensor of the probe you wanted to know the information
    1. this is also possible to remote probes on this dashboard
  3. the part of wmi delay should be zero

Maybe it's better to get some more information, also about your version. Than it's easier to support your problem.

Thank's

Sascha

Created on Nov 26, 2014 1:29:41 PM

Votes:

Hi,

rebooting the server the remote probe was installed on solved it.

Your logs are very helpful!

"WMI network functions corrupt: over 100 non-functional connections. Please reboot the computer running the PRTG probe to recover from this situation"

Cheers

Created on Nov 26, 2014 11:14:51 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.