What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

HTTP SSL expiry sensor stop working after upgrade

Votes:

I recently upgraded my PRTG Network Monitor to v14.4.12.3510 (that fixes vulnerabilities related to the OpenSSL library).

Since then all my HTTP SSL Certificate Exipry sensors are not working anymore!

They show the Timeout (code: PE018) error message.

I checked my sensor setting and enforced the tls protocol but did not found any option to specify the timeout value.

As I invoke the sensor from the PRTG server itself with:

SSLCertExpiration.exe -tls -u=https://mysystem.mydomain.com

it works and return the number of days before certificate expiry.

Can someone help me solving that ?

certificate prtg ssl tls

Created on Nov 26, 2014 3:02:51 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hey IT RFI,

I've test it with both, the strictly tls option and the sslv3 option (the last i don't should use, kindly unsecure). Both worked perfectly as i wan't it.

If you send the command within a cmd as user, this will "push" immediately. In PRTG your request should be queued. Maybe you've got a lot of sensors, so the probe is kind of busy at this time. How much sensors are max useful on a probe is described in this KB article ( https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/26383-planning-large-installations-of-prtg-network-monitor ).

An option how to set the timeout of this sensor is - to my opinion - not implemented yet.

Workaround, did you test it to create a new sensor? Is this sensor displaying values?

Would like to hear some results.

Best

Sascha

Created on Nov 27, 2014 7:31:24 AM

Votes:

Hello Sascha,

Thanks for your reply. I am far below the maximum sensors for a probe as described in KB26383.

Yes, I deleted my sensor and recreted it from scratch: The same problem show up.

Cheers

Clark

Created on Nov 27, 2014 8:10:13 AM

Votes:

Dear IT RFI

Please contact [email protected]. Please include a description of the issue, and screenshots of one of the sensor, from

• the overview tab
  • the logs tab
  • the settings tab (to cover all setting, please create multiple screenshots.)

Created on Nov 27, 2014 12:52:21 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.