What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote Probe in control of sending alerts back to the core

Votes:

Hi there, first of all, apologies if my question doesnt make sense. I am relatively new to PRTG. I have been asked by my company to look at setting up some sort of network monitoring system. We have servers all over the world based on oilrigs and vessels. At the moment we remote in every week to make checks on health of the server/logs/events etc and check the wireless access points are all operational that are connected on that network.

Because of the company expanding there are more and more vessels that need to be monitored. Its currently taking too long to remote in and out of each one.

I have had a play about with the PRTG and the 30 day trial and have setup a couple of remote probes.

My question I have is how do I setup the probe to communicate back only when there's an issue rather than the core server based here sending messages to it constantly. Because of the setup on the rigs and vessels we communicate via satellite and are limited to bandwidth, hence why we only want the probe to contact back when theres a problem. Is this even possible?

remote-probe remote-probe-install remote-probem

Created on Nov 28, 2014 4:34:18 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

This is not possible as the Remote Probes are just sending the monitoring requests and collecting the data. The Core Server processes the information and creates the notifications and reports, this is why the Remote Probe cannot classify if the check is an error or not.

Best regards

Created on Dec 2, 2014 3:53:50 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply Felix, I think the plan now then is to increase the interval of checks. Every 4 hours should suffice.

Created on Dec 2, 2014 3:57:01 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.