What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Supplying text messages with custom sensor doesn't work

Votes:

I've created a custom EXE/XML sensor which, in addition to the sensor's state, should include a message to be shown in the PRTG interface. As far as I understand from the PRTG manual, this is what the <text> tag is intended for. Regarding this tag, the PRTG API Custom Sensor's section explains the following: "Text the sensor returns in the Message field with every scanning interval." However, when I supply the message to be shown via the <text> tag (included within the <prtg> tag, but outside of <result>, as required by the API), I see it being included in the XML message in debug output, but the message won't show up in PRTG. Only the default message from the value lookup is shown. Is there anything I'm missing?

custom-sensor text-message xml

Created on Dec 2, 2014 3:35:41 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

OK, update: I just figured out the message supplied via the <text> tag IS shown if I set the value lookup setting of the primary channel to use none. Now I can see the message, but have lost the status information. How can I have text messages from the sensor being displayed AND status translation from a value lookup?

Created on Dec 3, 2014 3:55:58 PM

Votes:

Hello Ages,

All sensors do only have one message field. Your script forwards a message to PRTG, but your defined lookup will overwrite this message with the text you entered in the lookup. You can either display the message of the script, or the message of the lookup file.

Best regards

Created on Dec 4, 2014 9:06:12 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

thanks for clarification. I don't want the status description from the value lookup being passed as sensor message. I just need the lookup to provide status information for the channel, and I definitely want the sensor message being taken from the sensor result's <text> tag. How to do that?

Created on Dec 4, 2014 9:12:59 AM

Votes:

Hi,

Then you cannot use a lookup as the lookup will always overwrite the message of your script. The only sensor message which will be passed is if the sensor returns an "okay" state. Then you will see the sensor message in the message field and the lookup message below the lookup symbol.

Created on Dec 4, 2014 9:53:39 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So the sensor can show text messages when in state "OK", but not when in state "Error" or "Warning"?

Created on Dec 4, 2014 10:01:39 AM

Votes:

This is the current state, yes. I'll forward your request as a feature request for future versions of PRTG. Please bear with us.

Created on Dec 4, 2014 2:05:54 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.