What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI event sensor

Votes:

When adding an event sensor to a Windows server, it lists the event logs that are on the server including custom event logs that have been added like Internet Explorer.

When I try to add anevent sensor for a WinXP machine it only list the 3 main logs not any of the added logs.

Anyway to get it to pickup the additional log files?

event windows wmi

Created on Dec 3, 2014 5:35:51 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Not tested with Windows XP, but you could try the Exe/Script sensor for Windows events. Let me know if it worked for you :)

Created on Dec 4, 2014 8:14:04 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I found it. On XP and others I guess it does not always create all entries for en event log.

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog I created my own log file key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\MyEventLog

I was missing a couple of keys, not sure which one fixed it.

AutoBackupLogFiles MaxSize

After I added those 2 keys and then PRTG saw the log file.

FYI you have to reboot when making changes to the event logs, you cannot stop/start the event log service.

After adding the log file you can create your own events using eventcreate.

Created on Dec 4, 2014 3:14:19 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.