What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

E-mail Notification Relay Access Denied

Votes:

I installed PRTG today and am using the built-in mail server to send e-mail notifications. At the beginning I was only receiving the notifications sporadically and now I am not receiving them at all.

When I look at the notification log all the e-mails that failed to send have the message 'Status sending Email: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>: Relay access denied'

I disabled Windows Firewall completely and there is no antivirus running.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you very much.

email notification relay

Created on Dec 9, 2014 2:24:21 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Please notice that the direct delivery option uses the MX record, so it is well possible the issue has to do with the MX record being used for the server in case. What you can try is define a dedicated SMTP server (googlemail will do) and check if that works. If so, the issue would most likely have to do with the MX record itself.

Created on Dec 9, 2014 3:28:39 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

6 Replies

Votes:

Hey jfriedmanartc,

could it be that windows updates are the problem?

Please could you check the last update status of your system and the last update of PRTG in conclusion to the last mail, what PRTG was sending to you?

Furthermore, what is the version of your PRTG?

Best

Sascha

Created on Dec 9, 2014 10:01:29 AM

Votes:

Thanks for the response. I am completely up-to-date with Windows Updates. I am using PRTG 14.4.12.3509.

When PRTG was sending me e-mails at the beginning, I was getting notifications when sensors were down (such as when the sensor could not ping a server). However I am not getting any e-mails now.

The log shows that PRTG has tried to send notifications through e-mail. There is a message in the log for each of them that says "Relay Access Denied".

Created on Dec 9, 2014 2:53:58 PM

Votes:

Did you specify a SMTP server (for the mail relay options) or are you using the integrated mail server with MX connection?

Created on Dec 9, 2014 3:08:57 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

I am using the built in mail server. All I did was check the box that says "direct delivery using built-in mail server" on the notification delivery setup page. Do I need to configure anything else?

Created on Dec 9, 2014 3:20:01 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Please notice that the direct delivery option uses the MX record, so it is well possible the issue has to do with the MX record being used for the server in case. What you can try is define a dedicated SMTP server (googlemail will do) and check if that works. If so, the issue would most likely have to do with the MX record itself.

Created on Dec 9, 2014 3:28:39 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

I used a separate SMTP server and am now getting e-mails. Thanks for your help.

Created on Dec 9, 2014 3:39:38 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.