What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Generate bandwidth with iperf on PRTG

Votes:

Hi, One of the main tools that we need in our company is to generate bandwidth for specific amount of time to test link that was just created. Currently we are using iperf with specific lines like iperf -c 1.1.1.1 -b 10M -t 3600 -p 5999

I am wondering if there is a way to make such tool available for all administrators form the drop-down menu >> tools.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks

iperf tools traffic

Created on Dec 10, 2014 2:40:22 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

You can add external tools to the menu through the Enterprise Console, but I'm not sure that this will work in your case.

There have been others who have suggested that we add such functionality into our software but in the interest of keeping PRTG simple and minimizing the opportunities for PRTG to cause problems rather than discover them, we have left this out.

If there is enough of a demand for this functionality, it's possible that we will add it but at this time, the risk seems greater than the reward.

Created on Dec 12, 2014 1:23:29 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, When you are managing about 600 lines and everyday you are installing about 2-3 lines you need some extra from your monitoring software. I am expecting the monitoring tool to be able to simulate traffic to check the line "health" like you can do "generate error" on the sensor.

I think the demand is big at least for us as your future customer. If it possible to make the iperf run from the tool set on the menu it might be also a solution but in this case the iperf must run from some * network resource to avoid installation of this 3d party software on each PC which using the PRTG. I tried and didnt success. Today we are using this tool directly from PC by just running the strink I provided earlier.

Check please what can be done to use iperf or to use something internally from PRTG to simulate line bandwidth. I think it will be in demand.

Let me know how to handle this from here.

Thanks

Created on Dec 15, 2014 8:18:06 AM

Votes:

We discussed this today in our development meeting and for the time being we stand by that we do not want to integrate a bandwidth flooder into the software. It's possible to do this with the HTTP Advanced sensor by sending a file every now and again and then measuring the response time but integrating something like iperf just isn't in the cards.

I'm sorry that this likely isn't the answer you were looking for but it's the best I can give.

Created on Dec 15, 2014 12:17:29 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Thank you for your reply,. Is it possible to integrate such tool in "out of scope" support ? I mean I know (and I am using) the putty for example with variable parameters as a tool and it functioning perfect.

but for some reason unable to do the same with iperf. can assist ?

Created on Jan 6, 2015 5:49:31 AM

Votes:

This isn't something that we can do here but if you want to contact one of our partners, there are those that can help with PRTG integration like you are asking after.

https://www.paessler.com/partners

Created on Jan 7, 2015 1:53:50 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Created on Sep 20, 2015 10:42:59 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.