What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Delay in the Syslog Sensor

Votes:

Hello,

I run my PRTG with a local probe and a remote probe. Both of them have configured a Syslog sensor with its defaults settings. I use a Syslog Generator to send messages to the devices running the probes.

The sensors recognize the reception of the messages, since the channel values do change. If I sent 5 messages, 5 is shown in the counter. This can also be seen in the graph.

However, the messages are not shown in the list (showing text, arrival time, ...). And if they are shown, they are shown with a considerable delay (more than 10 minutes or longer). Sometimes they are not even shown.

I tried to restart the probes, the core server, and nothing happened...

Any Idea why this could be happening? The problem happens in both local and remote probe.

Best regards, Fabio

delay prtg syslog

Created on Dec 15, 2014 3:22:25 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi Fabio,
What precise version of PRTG are you using?
How much Syslogs are you sending to the receiver?

Created on Dec 17, 2014 12:50:02 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Konstantin,

I am using the last version (14.4.13.3741) and I am sending one Syslog Message per second. Each message has a random generated source address as well as a random priority value.

The messages do arrive to the computer, since I am able to capture them with Wireshark.

Best regards, Fabio

Created on Dec 19, 2014 8:10:13 AM

Votes:

Fabio,
could you send me screenshots of the sensor as well as the Wireshark dumps to [email protected]. Please refer to this thread.

Created on Dec 19, 2014 2:04:49 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Not to dredge up an old topic, but I am also impacted by this.

I have a number of messages received but nothing is displayed in the Overview section in the "Syslog Messages" subsection or in the Messages section. I have been running the probe for almost an hour. The graphs show messages received (and cataloged into Warning, messages, Errors, etc) and the graphs show traffic, but cannot view the messages.

Thanks!

Created on Apr 4, 2019 2:40:28 PM

Votes:

Hi Shawn,

I guess the best way to continue here, is with a dedicated support ticket. I've sent you a message with further instructions.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

[email protected]

Created on Apr 5, 2019 2:01:58 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 5, 2019 2:02:33 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.