What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to find number of sessions opened for PRTG?

Votes:

I want to find the number of users currently accessing PRTG or say number of session currently accessing PRTG. Also, is there way to kick-out users which are currently not using it?

prtg session sessions

Created on Dec 15, 2014 4:58:40 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hi again Divyesh,

It isn't possible to look to the active sessions for PRTG Administrators/Users. You should only enable or disable accounts.

Why you want to "kick" out Users from PRTG Webinterface? Please make this more clear for me/us, it don't make sense to me.

If you want to see the active TCP connections, try it with commands like "netstat -a" in your command line console (cmd) at PRTG-Server itself.

Best

Sascha

Created on Dec 16, 2014 10:00:12 AM

Votes:

The PRTG Status Page shows the number of Sessions under "Core System Memory":

Sessions	6 KByte (36)

For example this here are 36 sessions. BUT please bear in mind that Libraries, Reports, any mobile clients (and Enterprise Console) may also count as sessions here. So you cannot estimate one session equals one user. It can only give you a rough idea if much is going on on your PRTG.

Created on Dec 16, 2014 10:05:56 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sascha,

The reason I wanted to kick out users because our core is running with high memory utilization. If I would have power to end the session of those users who are currently not monitoring PRTG, I could free some memory to make PRTG more stable.

Hi Torsten,

Can I get the exact name of the sensor? I was unable to find out "Sessions"under the Probe Health or Memory Free sensor. Also, what is PRTG Status Page?

Created on Dec 16, 2014 3:59:02 PM

Votes:

Hey Divyesh,

till now I'm not sure if this makes sense, because there should be only web sessions or API Requests (take care of RDP sessions, they are RAM-destroyer ;). You don't have to be logged in via RDP to PRTG-Server for normal purpose). I think you got heavy load to your main PRTG because of the numbers of heavy load sensors. Please check this.

How many sessions do you think, are online to your PRTG?

But if you want to find the "information" you have to go to "Configuration" -> "Status of PRTG"

It should be on the left side under "Server-System memory" (your "name" could be similar).

Best

Sascha

Created on Dec 17, 2014 7:11:16 AM

Votes:

Which sensor are you referring to? Sensors do not have sessions. The Status Page can be found under Setup->PRTG Status.

Created on Dec 17, 2014 8:13:12 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hey Torsten,

I tried to load the PRTG Status page but I had to back out because even after 30 minutes the page was still processing data.

Hey Sascha,

I usually login to PRTG server when I have to restart the core service. I know this might be possible through PRTG API however, whenever I had to stop the service, the service doesn't stop gracefully and I always have to kill the process from the task manager. Also, I am assuming there could be more than 50 users accessing PRTG on day to day basis.

Created on Dec 17, 2014 3:43:34 PM

Votes:

Hey Divyesh,

that's ok, to login via RDP for administrativ purpose, but furthermore there aren't normal reasons, to log in via RDP next to administration.

The Problem with your service, could it be, that you've got a problem because of heavy load? For me i think PRTG is configured, that it would clear the queue step by step, but not strictly the time you wanted to stop the service.

So, if you got a big delay, than you have to wait a bit.

The Information with the status page, is also a information of heavy load. Please look to the roots, maybe the core server is not strong enough to keep in aim for all the heavy load sensors to your server.

Connections aren't the problem, one of my customer got over 2000 sessions (8 Probes and 10-15 SysOp's) through the work time ;).

Again, look at your settings, could it be, that you've got problems with the NSI-Service ( https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/62214-problems-with-ram-usage-on-windows-7-sp1-remote-probe )? This is also to Windows Server 2008 R2

Best

Sascha

Created on Dec 17, 2014 4:03:58 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.