What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Number of sensor per probe

Votes:

Is there a hard code limit on the number of sensor allowed on a probe? Right now, one of our probe is running more than 2000+ sensor. Does this affect the performance on PRTG?

limits probe sensors

Created on Dec 15, 2014 6:27:26 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hey Divyesh,

first, i want to refer to this article in PRTG KB ( https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/26383-planning-large-installations-of-prtg-network-monitor ) ;)

Than i wanted to say, that this is a very critically question. 2000 ping sensors don't getting so much performance than 2000 vmware sensors. So a globally said count of sensors isn't possible.

You have to look to your settings, especially to the probe sensors itself. If you get a delay or falling system health, then this should be the point for you.

With 100% system health and no delay, you've got a high percentage that your system is running well.

For more information in case of large installations, look to this article on top ;)

Best

Sascha

Created on Dec 16, 2014 9:38:13 AM

Votes:

Let me add to that, there is no hard coded limit for number of sensors per Probe. For general performance, it's absolutely like Sascha states, it depends on the used types of sensors and their settings (aggressive scanning interval etc.).

Created on Dec 16, 2014 9:42:55 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your response. we mostly have WMI, SQL and Core System sensors on every probe. I will take a look at the article and will update this space, in case if I have further questions.

Created on Dec 16, 2014 3:30:00 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.