What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to use a custom community name for SNMP?

Votes:

I am able to set up an SNMP sensor using the default "public" community name on the target server. I want to use a name other than "public". How can I change the community name PRTG uses?

community-name prtg sensor settings snmp

Created on Jul 1, 2010 7:20:12 PM

Last change on Jul 2, 2010 8:26:35 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Votes:

Please access your PRTG installation via the web interface. In the settings of the device you're setting the SNMP sensor on, remove the check mark in front of Inherit Credentials for SNMP Devices to change the Community String setting.

You can also define the credentials for SNMP devices in a group higher in the hierarchy and use the inheritance mechanism to pass on the settings to all groups and devices underneath.

Created on Jul 2, 2010 8:35:46 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.