What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SMART

Votes:

Hello,

I want to monitor our workstations useing smart, but i can only find IDE smart sensors. is it possible to use this sensor with SATA?

And when pc's turn off prtg turn red, is thare a way to avoid prtg giving warnings when the pc shuts off?

With kinds regards,

Dave Nienhuis

provider sata smart

Created on Dec 19, 2014 8:50:54 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dave, for PCs that are shut down, the best option is to have a Ping Sensor on them, and set the Ping Sensor to be Master Object For Parent in its Settings under Dependencies and enable the Auto-Acknowledge-Option on the Ping-Sensors as well.
This will mean the Ping Sensor pauses all other sensors on such a device in PRTG, if its shut down (Ping cannot reach it), and the Ping Sensor acknowledges its own down state immediately as well.

Created on Dec 19, 2014 12:48:35 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hey Dave,

for your SATA SMART Status, give it a try, I don't know if this will work, but we've got christmas :D. If this won't work, try to work with an VBS file and read the information via PRTG EXE scripts or do an feature request.

To your other problem, it is possible to "auto acknowledge" sensors in error state. For this I will take you to this article in PRTG KB ( https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/5903-how-to-auto-acknowledge-a-down-sensor-in-prtg ). For this, please use the latest version of PRTG.

It is very useful ;).

Created on Dec 19, 2014 10:48:18 AM

Votes:

About "when pc's turn off prtg turn red, is thare a way to avoid prtg giving warnings when the pc shuts off?" I suggest to use the scheduling options maybe could help you with this.

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/scheduling

Created on Dec 19, 2014 12:14:20 PM by  Carlos Echeverria (70) 1

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dave, for PCs that are shut down, the best option is to have a Ping Sensor on them, and set the Ping Sensor to be Master Object For Parent in its Settings under Dependencies and enable the Auto-Acknowledge-Option on the Ping-Sensors as well.
This will mean the Ping Sensor pauses all other sensors on such a device in PRTG, if its shut down (Ping cannot reach it), and the Ping Sensor acknowledges its own down state immediately as well.

Created on Dec 19, 2014 12:48:35 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you all of you for the great options!

I am currently using the option Torsten Lindner suggested, and works fine. The only problem i have now, is that when the Ping goes down, the device shows as red. is it possible to change paused devices to blue?

With kinds regards,

Dave Nienhuis

Created on Dec 22, 2014 8:38:04 AM

Votes:

When using a ping sensor as the master sensor for dependencies, the device will stay red since the Ping sensor has to stay in an error state. The only way to make the device show as paused would be to pause the device itself which cannot be done using it's own ping sensor since it would create a loop.

Created on Dec 22, 2014 12:48:28 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.