What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Change 'Value Type' for Sensor from SNMP Library

Votes:

Hi,

could you give me a hint how to change Value Type for existing sensor added from SNMP Library template? PRTG shows values as Gauge, I need Delta value.

To solve problem in another way: how to check OID value for sensor added from SNMP Library template? If I knew this then I could add Custom SNMP Sensor.

custom sensor snmp

Created on Dec 23, 2014 10:50:38 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Razor

The PRTG interface does not show the OID of an SNMP library sensor.

Did you get the OID originally from a MIB file?

Created on Dec 24, 2014 2:29:33 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Arne,

sure, I am able to get OIDs from original MIB file but this is roundabout way. Don't you think that it should be visible from PRTG? And such basic operation as value type change for graph is fundamental?

Best regards.

Created on Dec 29, 2014 9:05:04 AM

Votes:

Dear razor

The library sensor does not offer changes of the value type once it is created, because changing from gauge to delta or vice versa makes the earlier data unusable. A new sensor should be created in this case. The MIBimporter allows to change the value type so if you import the OIDLib again, you can use a different value type.

To see/edit OIDs, we offer the SNMP Custom sensor. SNMP Library sensors created from an OIDLib are not designed to show the underlining OID, it rather shows the metric in human-readable words taken from the MIB file.

Created on Dec 29, 2014 2:35:03 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.