What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Event corellation

Votes:

Hi, I'm testing PRTG and we have the need to setup an event correlation within the application. I have followed the guide in PRTG API, HTTP API, but I only get a table.xml file. What should I do with this file? Where should I place it?

api event-correlation prtg

Created on Dec 24, 2014 10:36:10 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your interest in our PRTG. Can you please explain a bit more detailed what exactly you are looking for?

best regards.

Created on Dec 29, 2014 11:06:19 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, Basically we're trying to get PRTG to suppress all host alarms that come from hosts behind a faulty one, or one that is down, this would save us time, and less notifications to look into.

As an example, if switch is faulty or have a couple of faulty ports, all the connections behind these ports will trigger an alarm, we need PRTG to tell us the switch is the problem and send us the alert for the switch only, nothing else.

Please let me know if you need more information. thanks

Created on Jan 5, 2015 2:12:04 PM

Votes:

Dependencies can help in such situations. The important thing is to make the sensors and devices dependent on the "main Ping Sensor". You can also work with sub-groups/cascading groups here, to make entire groups depending on a Ping Sensor (of the Router). So here, create a group with all servers, etc. that are actually "behind" this router, and then make this sub-group dependent on the Ping-Sensor of the router. And then keep the device-dependencies on the "Server-device" and "Print-Device" that each of their own Ping-Sensor will be the master object for this device and then pause all sensors on the server, if only the server is down. It may also help, to look into the "Notification Summarization Settings", which summarize several notifications, if they occur within a certain time limit.

Created on Jan 5, 2015 2:26:30 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 5, 2015 2:26:38 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can we make an host dependent of a port sensor, or it has to be dependent of a Ping sensor?

Created on Jan 5, 2015 2:30:05 PM

Votes:

You can use a Port sensor as well of course!

Created on Jan 5, 2015 2:39:17 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.