What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Folder monitor with local path not working

Votes:

After Updating to the current release (14.4.13.3800) I get an error attempting to monitor local paths. The error is a logon failure: the network path was not found. Is this a known/expected issue?

foldersensor probe prtg windows

Created on Dec 26, 2014 10:15:05 PM

12 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you very much for using PRTG. We are not aware of any issues with the Folder Sensors in the current version. May I ask, from which version did you update? Does it help to restart the target or the Probe Service? Please also see the troubleshooting tips in this article: folder sensor works erratically, multiple error codes.

best regards.

Created on Dec 29, 2014 12:46:35 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I was running 14.4.12.3510 I also have an unrelated issue I think. My SSL expiry probes are also not working. they show Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel

Created on Dec 31, 2014 5:01:39 PM

Votes:

and no restarting probes, server or target does not fix the issue

Created on Dec 31, 2014 5:03:30 PM

Votes:

So the sensor was working prior to the update? Can you verify that you can open the UNC path you entered in the sensor configuration is still reachable for the PRTG server (i.e. can you open the path in the explorer on your PRTG server)?

Created on Jan 1, 2015 12:17:22 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 1, 2015 12:17:54 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The path is not a UNC but a local folder on the prob.

Created on Jan 27, 2015 1:51:58 PM

Votes:

And the path does indeed exist? That's weird. Can you pass me the entire sensor configuration including the sensor that you're using? As for the SSL expiry sensor, have you tried all of the sensors security settings?

Created on Feb 2, 2015 12:52:56 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, the folder exist and the sensor did work before the update. now it gives me this error Logon failure: A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated(1312) (code: PE029) The folder does have read permissions configured.

here are the settings

FOLDER MONITOR

Folder Name : C:\inetpub\mailroot\Queue

Do not recurse subfolders

Ignore changes

Do not check File Ages

SENSOR DISPLAY

Primary Channel File Count

On the SSL issue I finally traced it to the sensor not supporting TLS 1.1 or 1.2

Created on Feb 2, 2015 3:05:47 PM

Votes:

For the folder sensor, please see if any of the tips in the following KB-Article does help: folder sensor works erratically, multiple error codes

Created on Feb 3, 2015 1:54:13 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That was informative. here is what I am seeing when tracing with procemon Date & Time: 2/3/2015 10:16:44 AM Event Class: File System Operation: CreateFile Result: BAD NETWORK NAME Path:
;RdpDr\;:0\127.0.0.1\ipc$\ TID: 2964 Duration: 0.0000647 Desired Access: Read Attributes Disposition: Open Options: Open Reparse Point Attributes: n/a ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete AllocationSize: n/a

The path looks to be the issue. But to be fair I do not have a working version of the sensor to test against.

Created on Feb 3, 2015 3:34:38 PM

Votes:

Did you try the the other tips in the article? Make sure that there are no other SMB-Based connections towards this target, etc.?

Created on Feb 4, 2015 9:27:29 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I did not see much in the article that I can try. This is the only folder being monitored on the server. The server is on the probe so I cannot change the host name. Timing is not an issue since it is a immediate error, plus the trace of the app clearly indicates that it is a problem with the server name\server path used in the call.

Created on Feb 4, 2015 2:24:36 PM

Votes:

Can you post a screenshot then showing the settings of the sensor please?

Created on Feb 5, 2015 8:32:36 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.