What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sesnor order by tag or other parameter

Votes:

Hi, Since MAP sensors order is the same as the order on the tree of the groups I would like to know how to order the sensors (interfaces) on the tree by preconigured tag or other parameters which will be or already configured on the sensors.

Example I would like that the interface with name "internet" will be the first but the ping second Currently the discovery make the ping sensor first and all the rest in order one by one.

As result the MAP is the same but I need it a little bit different.

Please let me know.

map tags traffic

Created on Dec 30, 2014 11:44:06 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

You can accomplish this using the API.

1. Get a list of all your PING sensors.

/api/table.xml?content=sensors&output=xml&columns=objid,name&filter_type=ping

2. Enumerate the list and set all PING sensors to be the first sensor in the tree list.

/api/setposition.htm?id=objectid&newpos=top

3. Get a list of all your "internet" sensors.

4. Enumerate the list and set all "internet "sensors to be the first sensor in the tree list.

Every device will now have the "internet" sensor as the first and the PING sensor as the second sensor in its list.

Created on Dec 31, 2014 9:08:29 AM

Votes:

Hi Thank you it is really helpful.

Second question is how to make another sensor to be the second and so on... I can assume that there is TOP, MIDDLE and LOW that can be used on the string but what if I have more then 3 sensors ?I need to control this correctly.

Thanks

Created on Jan 5, 2015 10:24:31 AM

Votes:

You will need to work your way from last to first.

In other words, if the goal order is

sensor type 1
sensor type 2
sensor type 3
sensor type 4

You will start by setting sensor type 4 to be the top one. Next set sensor type 3 to be the top one, and so on…

Created on Jan 5, 2015 11:08:43 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.