What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Filtering PRTG Netflow Data with one sensor?

Votes:

Hi there. I'm a new user so please forgive me if my terminology/understanding is incorrect.

I've setup a Netflow sensor for my Cisco router and am capturing all of the data I expected (LAN to LAN traffic, as well as LAN to WAN traffic). However, I was wondering if there was a way to filter the data to obtain very specific information. For example, say a host with an IP address 192.168.100.50 transmits a large amount of data in a day. Would it be possible for me to filter the existing Netflow traffic so that I can see 192.168.100.50's history for that day? And, am I able to implement further filters like excluding web traffic from the results?

Basically I'm hoping PRTG has features like those offered by NFDUMP/NFSEN where you're able to set up one collector and then implement as many filters as you like, and make them as specific as you like.

Thanks in advance for your assistance everyone.

netflow prtg

Created on Jan 1, 2015 3:51:52 AM

Last change on Jan 21, 2015 8:52:41 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

6 Replies

Votes:

at the moment PRTG analyses netflow data as it comes in and then drops the flows.

So for any specific information you are interested in, a netflow sensor with the specific filter needs to be active at the time the traffic happens.

The possibility to store Netflow data for later processing is something we already work on, and it should be available in the first half of 2015.

Created on Jan 1, 2015 11:15:40 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there, is there already an update in this topic?

Created on Dec 9, 2015 6:13:08 PM

Votes:

Hi,

Is there already an update on this topic? Its now end of 2015 and I cannot find this feature.

Thanks,

Created on Dec 14, 2015 10:54:17 AM

Votes:

Hello,

no, sorry there is no update yet.

This is all we can sys about it at the moment.

Created on Dec 14, 2015 12:23:30 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any updates on this?

Created on Nov 4, 2016 10:30:00 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid it is still on the ToDo list, other tasks have higher priority at the moment.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Nov 7, 2016 11:59:34 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.