What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is it possible to "hide" nodes in a library?

Votes:

Hi

We're running PRTG version 14.2.10.2256. I have modeled my general setup of devices in PRTG according to a structure that makes sense to me.

The devices look similar to this:

• Probe
    • Group 1
      • Device A
      • Device B
      • Device C
    • Group 2
      • Device D
    • Group 3
      • Device E
      • Group 3.1
        • Device F
        • Device G

There are sensors underneath the devices of course, but i've chosen not to list them here to keep it simple.

Now all of these groups are very interesting to me, but they are not to one of my main users. He doesn't have anything to do with anything in group 2 and doesn't want to see it. For this reason i want to create a custom library that shows him only Group 1 and Group 3.

The library i created is simply group 1 and 3 dragged into the library as two separate nodes and it ends up looking like this:

• Library 1
    • Node 1
      • Group 1
        • Device A
        • Device B
        • Device C
    • Node 2
      • Group 3
        • Device E
        • Group 3.1
          • Device F
          • Device G

Now i understand the need for the nodes to be there as control structures for what is "selected" in case i do apply filter on the node or such, however when i'm just showing a subtree of devices linked to the node, the node element seems like a "redundant" parent node in a tree which just adds another level and complexity to the tree. My collegue does not want to see these node names here and as an element in the tree, they are just clutter to him, and the groups already have meaningful names to him so he only wants to see the group names (and content beneath them of course).

Ideally he wants to see his view of the library look like this:

• Library 1
    • Group 1
      • Device A
      • Device B
      • Device C
    • Group 3
      • Device E
      • Group 3.1
        • Device F
        • Device G

Is there any way to "hide" the display of the node names when looking at the library in the "overview" screen of a library? I absolutely realize the need for them to be visible when dealing with a node with a filter or on the management screen, but when it simply concerns a subtree on the overview screen i want the display of the nodes in the overall tree structure gone.

Ultimately i want to put the info my user desires on a map specifically designed for him, with a SunBurst style display showing a structure identical to his "desired" view of the library.

If the nodes cannot be "hidden" can what i describe above be achieved in another manner?

Best Regards Peter

library node prtg

Created on Jan 2, 2015 12:29:36 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

The best way to go about this would be to change his account's rights on those groups to none and they will no longer show up in the device tree when he looks at it.

Created on Jan 8, 2015 12:29:07 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

ok @greg the solution works for hiding ◦Group 2 ◾Device D node but what about hiding the ◦Node 1 and ◦Node 3 under the Group 1 and 3 respectively?

I have the same issue with a manager who thinks that the hierarchy is cluttered and he 2wants it cleaned up.

Thank you,

SnakeByte

Created on Feb 28, 2019 7:00:34 PM

Votes:

At some point you will then have to add the devices individually into the Library (that will create one library node per device then), in order to have a full customised device tree view in the library.

Created on Mar 1, 2019 10:10:18 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.