What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can we monitor an external ip address

Votes:

Hi, Can we monitor an external ip address? We don't really need to monitor the link, but the actual ip address. Can this be done in PRTG?

Thanks

external ip prtg

Created on Jan 5, 2015 4:35:58 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

This can be done with Custom Sensor ExternalIP

It gets the ISP-assigned IP address of the Probe and goes into a warning state if the IP address has changed.

Created on Jan 6, 2015 9:00:47 AM

Votes:

Sorry to ask, but how do I add this sensor to PRTG?

Thanks

Created on Jan 6, 2015 10:19:23 AM

Votes:

Hi,

You can find 'how to add a Custom EXE sensor' here.

Created on Jan 6, 2015 10:31:22 AM

Votes:

I'm testing this custom sensor but didn't know the correct configuration of the Setting & Notification?

• do I need to set Trigger 'change' notification at Setting? Then add Change Trigger at Notification?
  • If configured the above settings, I noticed the returned value actually changed every scan time. So it triggered the notification for every scan time. The external IP didn't changed actually!

Created on Sep 19, 2016 3:09:36 PM

Last change on Sep 20, 2016 11:10:28 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello Petabyte,

since the sensor will go into warning when the IP changes, creating a "State Based Trigger" for the state of Warning will be sufficient. To make sure that the warning state isn't missed use the ...for at least 0 seconds latency.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Sep 20, 2016 11:24:28 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Thanks a lot, Luciano. Will try.

Created on Sep 20, 2016 1:21:10 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.