What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Device Utilization counter

Votes:

I'm trying out PRTG's 1-month trial and so far I have been very happy with it. I'm still figuring it out the UI and everything, but so far I've set up sensors on the switch ports I'm interested in and have been getting some good results.

My question now is, is there any one sensor that can monitor switch (or device, like firewall for example) utilization ? There's CPU Load & Memory usage, but is there a particular sensor that can report back "Device at X% utilization" ?

Afterwards, is there a way to report that in the graph ? I only see Alarms, Response time index, CPU Load and Traffic - and I'm currently only using traffic sensors, so nothing else is showing up.

devices prtg smtp switch

Created on Jan 6, 2015 7:27:39 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Can you explain what you mean with

There's CPU Load & Memory usage, but is there a particular sensor 
that can report back "Device at X% utilization" ?

...in a more detailed way? Do you mean like a health state that combines the state of ram, cpu and storage usage?

Created on Jan 7, 2015 3:42:37 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

I'm trying to establish a baseline for the device, and need bandwidth (which I monitor using the SNMP Traffic sensor) and a sensor for "health" (CPU/Memory/Disk). Basically I need to see if our devices are overloaded, either from network utilization or from hardware utilization.

Created on Jan 7, 2015 3:44:51 PM

Votes:

We don't have health sensors for all devices. When you filter the "Add sensor" page (where all the sensors are shown) for "health", it lists quite a lot of health sensors for various devices. Maybe the right one for you is among them?

If not, you basically want all data within one graph and then see what it looks like when the device is under average load so you can determine at what point you need to interfere? The sensor factory sensor might be just the thing for you. You can add the various channels from those sensors into one sensor, giving you a complete graph :)

Created on Jan 8, 2015 3:41:01 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.