What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Does cloning a device or group cause the sensor to hit a server more times?

Votes:

We have a large device tree and several sunburst charts (we call them donuts) based on a lot of the groups. We've got several customer specific groups that we built out for this. So each customer group in the device tree has it's own sunburst chart.

We have an existing sunburst chart for customer X, but I want to add another group into the chart.

From my very limited understanding, I want to clone an already existing device/sensor that exists within another group over to the customer X group. My fear is that the sensors will be hitting the server twice since it is cloned? If that is the case is there a way to just mirror a device or sensor vs cloning?

cloning device sensor sunburst-chart

Created on Jan 15, 2015 8:57:12 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

You are right, Cloning an object will cause the sensors to hit the server several times. If you want to create new device trees with existing objects you can use libraries.

Hope this will solve your problem.

Regards
Birk Guttmann

Created on Jan 16, 2015 9:46:33 AM

Votes:

When cloning a device, you will have to enter the IP address (or DNS name) of the target device.

So it is up to you if the cloned sensors will hit the same server

Created on Jan 16, 2015 4:06:54 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.