What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

IIS WMI sensor and HTTP API

Votes:

I am looking to script out all of the checks for bringing new servers online, but am running into issues with the WMI IIS sensor. According to the HTTP API, the only way to "create" a new sensor is by copying an existing one. This works fine in most cases, but iwth the IIS WMI sensor the "Instance" field is showing as a read only.

This causes issues if I am going to automate a server check and do not know the name of the IIS instance ahead of time. In the case of a new IIS instance, I would first have to deploy that instance to a server, manually create a new IIS WMI check in PRTG for that instance name, then copy that check over in the future.

Is there a way that I could create a new IIS WMI check via API or change the instance name?

iis wmi wmi-iis

Created on Jan 19, 2015 10:51:10 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

I am also curious about other checks with un-editable fields, such as "Disk Read Bytes", "% Disk Write Time". If I were wanting to set up a server from scratch with checks in the API, it seems I would first need to create a check with any possible drive letter to do a copy of. This seems a bit excessive for each check creating one for each drive letter

Created on Jan 20, 2015 3:32:10 PM

Votes:

Dear Klawlor

The easiest way would be to save a custom template, and perform an auto discovery on the group which you have your IIS put in.

Starting an auto discovery with a template cannot be automated with an API call, it has to be done manually.

Created on Jan 22, 2015 2:48:24 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.