What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Ping Jitter: External EXE/Script did not return a response (code: PE087)

Votes:

I'm getting error PE087 on all my Ping Jitter probes. I changed the probe service to a local administrator account, but it still happens. This is a brand-new install of PRTG, latest version, on Windows Server 2012 R2. I checked my Antivirus and it doesn't appear to be blocking it. Any ideas? Thanks.

error pe087 ping-sensor

Created on Jan 26, 2015 7:47:40 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The sensor in case is an executable (PingJitter.exe) located in the "Sensor System' folder of your PRTG installation.

Try running the .exe from the command line to see what happens.

You can double click the .exe for an explanation of parameters required.

Created on Jan 30, 2015 8:19:32 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

What happens when you reduce the ping count? (Default is 50 pings)

Created on Jan 28, 2015 8:30:01 AM

Votes:

Hello,

Reducing the ping count had no effect. I tried reducing it to 20.

Thanks.

Created on Jan 29, 2015 4:48:23 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The sensor in case is an executable (PingJitter.exe) located in the "Sensor System' folder of your PRTG installation.

Try running the .exe from the command line to see what happens.

You can double click the .exe for an explanation of parameters required.

Created on Jan 30, 2015 8:19:32 AM

Votes:

This is resolved. I ran PingJitter.exe manually and Windows tried to install the .NET 3.5 feature, but failed. I went to Server Manager and added the .NET 3.5 Feature, successfully. Then PingJitter.exe could execute. The sensor is working fine now. This was on Server 2012 R2. Thanks!

Created on Feb 3, 2015 5:56:07 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.