What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Display Trap messages in map

Votes:

I have a trap receiver (beta) set up and currently receiving traps. How do I add the trap list (messages) in my map as an object?

map snmp trap

Created on Jan 27, 2015 7:51:44 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

Sorry, it has not been revisited ever since. As Arne mentioned, the underlying architecture is a bit of a problem. The easiest way to achieve this is probably to use Grafana as a map software and have the SNMP traps logged into a SQL database.

In our Tech Support Department, we're using Grafana as well (with the PRTG plugin) in order to allow for dynamic changes and a coherent, consistent layout.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 14, 2017 10:38:00 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

11 Replies

Votes:

this is not yet possible, sorry.

It is likely that this will be available in the near future.

Created on Jan 28, 2015 6:32:54 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, i have the same problem. Is ist possible now in version 15.3.18.3616? To show snmp trap or syslog massages in a list on the map?

Created on Aug 25, 2015 7:27:06 AM

Votes:

Dear dhoetzel

There is no map object for those messages yet. It is currently not in development either, I am sorry. Showing trap or syslog messages on the map has still the status of a feature request.

Created on Aug 26, 2015 11:02:50 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, Is there any plan to make such feature which show syslog receiver messages in any table in map? If yes - when it can be deployed?

Created on Nov 6, 2015 10:59:08 AM

Votes:

Dear bradwan

Currently we focus on other map improvements. I am sorry, I can give you no timeline or estimate for syslog messages in maps, as it currently does not have the priority to get on one on the shorter lists.

Created on Nov 6, 2015 12:30:44 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

How about now? It would be great if we can have snmp traps display on a map rather than have to go directly in to the sensor to see the traps.

Created on Feb 22, 2016 1:59:39 AM

Votes:

Dear Barry

This is still something we have not implemented, even though we deem it useful. The reason is a current architecture limitation. Instead of adding workarounds, we rather take the time to improve the underlying architecture.

Created on Feb 22, 2016 12:27:02 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We need this feature too. Now it's more than two years after this feature request was created. Do you have an update if this feature is still on the roadmap or in development?

Created on Sep 13, 2017 2:11:18 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

Sorry, it has not been revisited ever since. As Arne mentioned, the underlying architecture is a bit of a problem. The easiest way to achieve this is probably to use Grafana as a map software and have the SNMP traps logged into a SQL database.

In our Tech Support Department, we're using Grafana as well (with the PRTG plugin) in order to allow for dynamic changes and a coherent, consistent layout.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 14, 2017 10:38:00 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, is this still not supported?

Created on Dec 3, 2020 9:46:37 AM

Votes:

Correct, yes. Please see the best answer of this thread (the one above yours) for a interim solution. This will likely not get implemented natively in PRTG for the time being. Sorry for the troubles :(

Created on Dec 3, 2020 1:35:14 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.