What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor scanned more often than scanning interval

Votes:

I created a sensor with scanning interval of 3 days, but it seems it is scanned more often than it was set up. Why can this happen ? I wouldn't like it to happen as every sensor check makes a phone call and if there are many of them at same time it will make false alerts

custom-sensor prtg scanning-interval

Created on Jan 27, 2015 10:51:40 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Apparently sensors can be triggered by other events than the configured schedule as well. I've seen events such as the restart of PRTG core or probe service triggering the execution of our sensors. Unfortunately, the scanning interval seems to be more like a maximum time between executions, not really an exact interval.

Created on Jan 27, 2015 12:23:02 PM

Votes:

Hello,

yes, e.g. a restart of the probe service will cause an extra scan. A three day scanning interval is rather uncommon and comes with these side effects.

Created on Jan 28, 2015 6:38:32 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

What makes a scanning interval of 3 days more "uncommon" than other intervals?

Created on Jan 28, 2015 8:39:52 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.