What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Autodiscovery performance issue

Votes:

On our server autodiscovery tasks causes severe performance issues. I can understand that autodiscovery of large network segments cat have impact on performance but it is happening even when i try to add some devices with templates like ping only or custom template with a few sensors only. From server side free memory is still available and CPU consuption is not high but PRTG can become even unresponsive during autodiscovery. Where can i look for performance improvements ?

auto-discovery performance prtg

Created on Jan 27, 2015 11:29:46 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you very much for using PRTG. May I ask, which exact version of PRTG are you running? If possible, try running these Auto-Discoveries during the night hours.

best regards.

Created on Jan 28, 2015 2:07:31 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We're using 14.4.13.3800 x64. It's a large installation but I can't see where the bottleneck is. I thought discovery with simple templates would be less demanding. I guess I'll have to schedule adding devices out of business hours Regards

Created on Jan 28, 2015 2:28:33 PM

Votes:

The Auto-Discovery can indeed put significant load on a PRTG Systen, as it does a lot of checks and references on the existing objects in the device tree. Can you please send us a Support Bundle with reference to this KB-Post, to give us a better overview on your installation?

Created on Jan 28, 2015 3:09:13 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I've just sent you support ticket regarding this issue with Support Bundle. PRTG becomes unresponsive while OS on core server is running fine. Can I limit number of auotodiscoveries running at once ? 3 autodiscovery sessions make some sensors fail into unknown state while more than that makes PRTG unresponsive

Created on Feb 18, 2015 8:29:35 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.