What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Notification "Add Entry to Event Log" does not create new log entry message when sensor alerts.

Votes:

Our Version: PRTG Network Monitor 14.4.12.3410+

I have configured a notification under: My Account > Notifications > NotificationTEST > under "Add Entry to Event LOG" Logfile: PRTG Network Monitor Event Type: Error Event Log Message (Default) ([%sitename] %device %name %status %down (%message) )

I have configured a sensor to trigger with the above notification (if a Ping is down for at least 60 seconds).

Testing results: The sensor changes to status Down

However when looking at the Windows Event Viewer on the PRTG Server, I do not see any messages added into the event log. The exact event log is: Event Viewer > Applications and Services Logs > PRTG Network Monitor.

Please would you: - confirm that I am looking at the correct log in the event viewer. - indicate why new messages are not added into the event log.

Thank you.

event-log notifications windows-event-viewer

Created on Jan 28, 2015 9:52:25 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

To reply to my own post:

The "PRTG Network Monitor" log in Windows (Event Viewer > Applications and Service Logs > PRTG Network Monitor) is the correct log location. Properties of the “PRTG Network Monitor” log: %SystemRoot%\System32\Winevt\Logs\PRTG Network Monitor.evtx

After extensive testing, I could send Down and Up alerts to this log from the PRTG application. I had to have a Notification set up with: Logfile: PRTG Network Monitor Event Type: Error (default log message)

And under a Ping sensor a State Trigger for Down and Up (60 seconds delay) use the Notification configured above.

This above configuration did not work for the first approximately 3 tests I did, but after clearing and starting again, they started working.

HTH

Created on Jan 29, 2015 12:09:03 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.