What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Recommended setup for receiving SNMP traps (network monitoring)

Votes:

I started out with a single trap receiver sensor on the probe device itself but since there's no reverse lookup for the source IP, its unusable for immediate identification of the offending device.

Is it wise to have a separate trap sensor for each switch? I have about 200 switches in my network that I have to monitor for port flapping and loop detection.

Can someone point out what is a recommended setup?

Thanks.

snmp snmp-trap snmptraps switch trap

Created on Jan 30, 2015 6:23:25 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

The feature to support reverse lookup for the source IP is still on our wishlist, but I'm afraid I cannot give you an exact release-date/version in the moment.

To the number of switches you would like to monitor, we recommend to use a separate trap sensor for each switch.

Created on Feb 4, 2015 3:45:55 PM by  [email protected]

Votes:

And one more thing,

Apparently it's not possible to have trap sensor in a template? If I were to use separate trap sensor for each switch there should be an option to use a template with trap sensor and its filters included.

Can someone confirm this?

Created on Mar 10, 2015 12:31:08 PM

Votes:

Hello,

Unfortunately, SNMP Trap Receiver Sensor and also some others are excluded for device templates, since you need individual settings configured for each sensor. However, you can clone the sensors one by one, or write your own Powershell script, which will find all your device IDs in PRTG and add a Trap Receiver sensor on it. There is currently no simpler way to do this.

Created on Mar 12, 2015 9:09:26 AM by  [email protected]

Votes:

That is quite unfortunate as it limits the functionality of such a sensor. Both approaches to the problem, either by creating a global trap sensor or by creating separate trap sensors for each device, are plagued by simple to solve issues. The first lacks DNS lookup in order to identify the sender device, and the second offers no simple way for configuration.

Are there any plans to improve this?

Created on Mar 12, 2015 9:31:50 AM

Votes:

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

In the moment we do not plan any changes, but we have it on the list.

Please bear with us.

Created on Mar 13, 2015 2:19:41 PM by  [email protected]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.