What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Multiple DNS Entries Discovery Issue

Votes:

Is it possible to stop PRTG from discovering a device multiple times if it has multiple DNS entries? For example, a mail server called exchange.domain.local would be discover, but also be discovered when it finds "mail.domain.com". If the ability to add multiple DNS entries could be done, I could stop my monthly auto-discovery from finding a server again... And if this is already designed in somehow, I'm having problems.. :)

auto-discovery dns prtg

Created on Feb 2, 2015 2:20:39 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The only way will be to monitor the device via IP then.

Created on Feb 5, 2015 9:13:19 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you very much for using PRTG. A device in PRTG can only have one hostname / FQDN / IP. Not several. For some key machines, you could use DNS-Sensors though, to check that their hostnames are correctly resolved into the right IP. And as long as these DNS Sensors are up, you do not need to monitor each host name with a dedicated device.

best regards.

Created on Feb 3, 2015 12:32:52 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks but I DON'T want to monitor the multiple DNS entries. I'm trying to AVOID doing that.

Unfortunately PRTG is doing this:

Server name: email.domain.local IP: 172.18.19.20

DNS Entry: email.domain.local IP: 172.18.19.20 DNS Entry: mail.companyname.com IP: 172.18.19.20 DNS Entry: maildiscovery.domain.local IP: 172.18.19.20

Even though all 3 DNS entries are for the SAME machine, PRTG sees them as 3 different machines and wants to discover and add sensors for them. How can I avoid that?

Created on Feb 4, 2015 6:30:07 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The only way will be to monitor the device via IP then.

Created on Feb 5, 2015 9:13:19 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.