What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is it possible to trigger a notification in the event that a sensor doesn't change within a set time

Votes:

I have some troublesome temperature sensors on a third party system that sometimes stop updating. They simply return the same value for long periods of time. It would be really handy to be able to detect that the sensor is effectively "flat lining" and trigger a notification.

I know the best answer is to fix those sensors but they are part of someone else's system and are beyond my remit.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

notifications prtg sensor

Created on Feb 3, 2015 5:01:40 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

I'm afraid that this is not possible. PRTG can create a delta for the last two values, but cannot create and compare deltas for multiple scanning results, sorry.

Created on Feb 5, 2015 2:00:54 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

You could do this with a Custom Sensor using the API.

Get the temperature sensor result and store it to disk, in the next run compare the result with the storred result and set the Custom Sensor to an error state if they are equal.

Created on Feb 5, 2015 3:31:26 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.