What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

?: pwd-change and overload protection

Votes:

Hello All, each time I change my LDAP-PWD PRTG activates the overload-protection. To end the overload-protction-mode I have to re-save alle librarys that I've created. Where is the mistake in my configuration?

overload-protection password prtg

Created on Feb 5, 2015 12:20:56 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Dear ages

This is an issue which cannot be really fixed. To work around the PRTG overload protection, please create the libraries with a user which has an AD password which does not change.

Created on Feb 6, 2015 3:54:46 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The regular change of passwords is part of our security policy.

Created on Feb 10, 2015 12:23:59 PM

Votes:

Dear ages

In this case, there is no solution. We keep the PRTG overload protection as a security measure. There is no option, not even via a registry hack, to disable the overload protection.

If it is allowed by your policy, please create the PRTG libraries with the default PRTG administration account. The PRTG administrator password does not depend on the AD, it can be set via the PRTG Administration tool.

Created on Feb 10, 2015 2:11:13 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 10, 2015 2:12:04 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am seeing the same issue. is it possible to add a "security context" field, similar to reports?

Created on Mar 2, 2015 12:34:06 AM

Votes:

Dear LeoRX

We have no plans to offer this field, as it would be rarely ever used.

If you have a lot of libraries already and don't want to recreate them as PRTG adminisitrator, please log into PRTG using that AD user with the new password. This provides PRTG with the new password, avoiding the overload protection.

Created on Mar 3, 2015 12:32:38 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.